Sunday, March 14, 2010

Motatapu Race report


Motatapu Race report

Firstly a big thanks to the following

Icebreaker NZ for providing the entry and a great top to run in

Five fingers Australia and New Zealand www.fivefingers.co.nz
for there on going support in supplying five fingers.

Woke up on Saturday morning at 5am to the sound of my alarm and to the reality that race day was here. To be honest I was feeling pretty good about the day ahead compared to the previous 5 days where I had a few doubts and was wondering what the hell I was doing entering my first marathon with no shoes. The weather forecast was for southerly winds overcast with the chance of rain, and they were correct.
After downing a can of cream rice it was off to catch the bus to the start of the run, the race organisers had put buses on for all competitors to catch to the start area. After a short bus ride along a gravel road we arrived in darkness to the start area where we were given our race number and timing transponder.

As the start of the race approached it was time to lose the shoes and my warm clothing. It’s a unique experience taking your shoes off before an off road marathon and putting them into your bag to be transported to the finish line. As you can imagine there were a few people looking at me strangely. With my bag thrown into the trailer it was off to the start line and race briefing. At the briefing we were advised that we had to do an extra short 1.8km loop on a gravel road (with a river crossing) before heading out on the course proper, this was due to improvements made to the track which had shorten the course by 1.8km. Now for any of you that have not run barefoot, running on a gravel road barefoot is challenging and one of the hardest terrains to run on. With that in mind I thought it’s only a couple of kilometres I just guts it out and we will be away.

After answering dozens of questions “where are you shoes ” “you’re not doing it in bare feet?” the race was under way. It was the most relaxed start to a race I have ever had. I started near the back of the field and just eased into it. To my amazement I was holding my own on the gravel road and started to pass people. Through the first river crossing and the feet went a bit numb as you would expect for an alpine river. I continued to run strong and started to work my way through the field. As I passed people you could here remarks like “that’s just wrong” “hey he has no shoes on” etc.

By the end of the first few kilometres I had found my stride and I was away, I wasn’t sure if this was due to the fact that my feet were numb or I had I actually done enough training leading up to the race. Which ever way, I thought I would make the most of it and get through this first section of gravel road. After a few more river crossings and few hills I came across the first check point 10 kilometres in. As I looked at my watch I realised that I was averaging 5 - 6 minute kilometres and was a bit shocked.

I have 2 rules when I race barefoot. 1) Don’t stop moving forward and 2) I don’t allow my self to look at the soles of my feet (unless there is something seriously wrong). As I keep running I start to wonder how long before this gravel road turns into a nice grass farm track. I arrive at check point to and still feeling strong and find my self still running on a gravel road. With running barefoot on a gravel road you have to plan every step so in doing so you don’t have the time to look around. Let alone look for the signs placed every 2 kilometres that tell you how far to go. I found my first sign for the day that said 22 kilometres to go. I look at my watch and I was still averaging 5 - 6 minute kilometres an hour. I still couldn’t figure out whether this was down to my feet being numb or the training that I had done. Every time my feet would just start to warm up I would be faced with another alpine river crossing. When my feet did warm up I did notice that my right foot was starting to show the early signs of possible blistering and was getting a bit sore, I wasn’t a 100 % sure if this was correct or was my feet responding to the cold. It was at this point I hit a low patch and started to question myself and my ability to finish. Making things even harder I was still on this never ending gravel road. At this point I gave myself some treats and focused on one step at a time and not stopping. I found that would pass people on the up hills only to be passed going down hill, as you have to slow down and take it a bit easy on the down hill sections. 16 kilometres to go and it hits me that I can finish this, the people around me were all very supportive and I even still managed to pass a few. Then I came across it yes the grass track wahoo I was off with a new found strength and started passing people again. This was short lived as the grass track only lasted about 2 kilometres. 14 kilometres to go and into the down hill section which I was not looking forward to. At this point I was down to a snail pace and back on this never ending gravel road. All round me people started to show signs of hurting and this included me. There is only one way out and that was on my bare feet and not any other means. 8 kilometres to go and flying past a small group of us came the first mountain bikers who had started 3 hours after us. Normally this would not have bothered me but when you are running barefoot down hill on a rough narrow 4wd gravel road and getting passed by mountain bikes at great speed it is a little un nerving to say the least. 4 kilometres to go and its never ending still going down hill and the feet are starting to feel the pain and my consternation on every foot step is starting to grow. There is nothing like a few wrong steps to get your mind back on track and you head back in the game.

Heading for home and the last challenge for my feet which I was made aware of by the race director before I entered. Six long cold river crossings with sharp stones and rocks and 25 odd minutes later and numb feet I came across a race official who kindly advised me 4 - 5 minutes to go. Then I rounded the next corner and hello it’s the finish line with two people in front of me I put the hammer down and sprinted past them for the finish line. Completing my first marathon in 5hrs 22mins without shoes to my amazement. If I would have know what the course was going to be like before the race I would have told you that it was impossible to run it barefoot, some times its best not to know what your in for.

In finishing I found myself left with an amazement of what the human feet can do and left asking myself how far can you run barefoot of road.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Josh - wicked sense of adventure!! I'm inspired by your courage to try something different and stick to your plan. I'm just starting to do some bare foot running and I'm fascinated by what you have achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Rob and all the best for your barefoot running. If you have any questions or want some help drop me a line. joshstevenson@paradise.net.nz

    ReplyDelete